Social studies is one of the core subject in the school curriculum and plays a vital role in developing social wisdom among the individuals. It includes issues relating to physical and cultural components of man’s environment and aims at producing enlightened citizens required of a democratic society. In this context the Department of Social Sciences Education & Humanities extends its support in strengthening social studies education in school system
Functions of the Department
- Refining and reframing the environmental studies curriculum for primary level and social studies curriculum for Upper primary and secondary school level.
- Providing training to the social studies teachers and teacher educators to update their knowledge and improve their professional skills.
- Undertaking research in the areas of Social Science Education on the issues relating to social studies teachers.
- Developing self learning materials on different concepts and new areas included in the social studies curriculum for the use of social studies teachers and teacher educators.
- Developing workbooks and question banks relating to Social Studies for the use of Students .
- Organizing Social Studies clubs for the professional development of social studies teachers.